Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Holi, it's March!

Apparently its March. I don't know where the time's going. February seems like a blur. I am kind of sad I missed most of the Olympic spirit. I got a few updates online, and it seems like I missed a good one. I wonder when they'll come back to Canada?

Last week was Holi, a yearly Hindu festival. It was a pretty fun week. In the evenings I would go with my host family to the place where the main events were happening. There were vendors selling balloons, food, candy, jewelry etc. There was even a small ferris wheel made from bamboo poles and powered by two guys pushing it. I didn't have the opportunity to try it out. The main tent had a shrine with statues of the gods Ram and Krishna. There were people dancing, singing, praying and offering little white candies and incense to the gods. Once the people had said their prayers, they would toss the extra candies to the crowd. They taste like pure sugar and I think I had a pretty good sugar rush going every night. Afterwards we would eat fuchka and jilapi, two of my favourite foods here. We had some visitors from the village stay at our house, so I shared my bed with one of my host brothers. I have a single bed, so it was a little tight!

On the 19th I'm heading to Cambodia for a couple weeks. MCC is having a retreat there and I'm taking a week afterwards of vacation. I'm very excited for that! I'll definitely buy a camera before I go so I can share some pictures with you when I return.

No comments:

Post a Comment