Saturday, April 17, 2010

Hello, Ben

Every so often while I'm walking down the street someone will call out, "Hello, Ben!" or, "How are you, Ben!" I will look at them and not have a clue who they are. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. There are maybe a dozen foreigners in Bogra, and over 200,000 Bangladeshis. People often ask me my name as I walk down the street. I can't remember everyone, can I?

The lack of foreigners is one thing I like about Bangladesh. If you walk up to someone on the street and ask them a question in English, 49 times out of 50 your question will be met with a blank stare or an awkward smile. I like that. I've always been a little annoyed at myself when I travel because as a native English speaker I can go pretty much anywhere I want without making an effort to learning a new language. While I have definitely taken full advantage of this convenience, I feel kind of cheap. Here I am, Johnny Monolinguist just expecting the rest of the world to speak my language. In a way, its an excuse for ignorance and a modern face for imperialism. Now, here in Bangladesh I can communicate in a foreign language and it feels good.

Bengalis have died for their language. In 1952, when the government in West Pakistan decided that the national language would be Urdu, students protested in East Pakistan (now Bangladesh). They were killed. Afterwards the UN declared February 21st as International Mother Language Day. I am proud to have been able to learn Bangla, a language that brought together a nation. Would you give your life for English?

That said, lack of English speakers is probably part of the reason why tourists don't come here. I must confess, as much as I love Bangladesh, I wouldn't suggest anyone pick up a Lonely Planet and head on over. You're just setting yourself up for disappointment. One time I saw a foreigner in the main market in Bogra. I knew he didn't live here, firstly because I know every foreigner in Bogra by name and secondly because he was looking at some sort of guide book or map. I considered going over and asking if he needed any help but I thought, "Well, he's made it this far..." I think Bangladesh is great if you have at least 4 months to commit. You can learn some of the language and learn about the people and culture. That would make it worthwhile. I can't imagine stepping of a plane in Bangladesh without knowing the language or anyone living here. You go to a taxi driver and try speaking English. He stares back at you blankly. Now what?

Nomoshkar,

Ben

1 comment:

  1. Ben,

    A fabulous description of the realities of foreigners in Bangladesh, and the lack of tourists. As brother Erik once said, I've lived in Mymensingh for nearly 20 years and have only seen three tourists I didn't know.

    ReplyDelete