Thursday, September 3, 2009

Foreign to Familiar

The title of this blog may remind fellow SALTers/MCC service workers of a nice little book we were asked to read before starting our assignment. This post has nothing to do with that book.

Last night I was in my room reading a book and listening to my iPod. My host brother Sagur comes by and asks if he can see my iPod. I said sure and I gave him a headphone and asked him to pick a song. He goes straight to the Michael Jackson. He seems to like MJ and "soft" music in general. So next I played him "Golden Slumbers" by the Beatles and I said that they're my favourite band. We go back and forth a bit, playing songs we like. I played some of UW's own Waterboys which he seemed to like a lot. The next song I played was "War" by Edwin Starr. I thought it would be quite different from anything he'd ever heard: some African-American funk/soul from the '70s. As soon as I played the song he burst out laughing. He said he recently saw the movie Rush Hour and so he pictures Jackie Chan singing along to this song in a funny Chinese accent. This caught me off guard: something I figured would be so foreign turned out to be very familiar to him

It's funny how things happen like that, when you least expect it. I apologize for those unfamiliar with "War" or Rush Hour. I hope I haven't wasted your time. Maybe this will help a bit.



Enjoy!

Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment