Thursday, August 27, 2009

My Commute

This past week I have been attending Bangla language classes on the other side of Dhaka. I travel by city bus both directions with two rickshaw rides in the middle. The trip costs just over a dollar.

As you know from my last post, Dhaka is a vibrant city full of people. It is the most densely populated city in the world and I've heard estimates of the population as anywhere from 12 to 18 million. It's amazing how people can fit into an area a quarter the size of Toronto. So the pictures you see below are raw Dhaka, bursting with people. It's a small glimpse into everyday life here and of my commute to and from school.

My bus
Live chickens. This man was carrying about 40.
Apartment buildings are the way to go.
A logical place for an A&W.
Bus stand
Train tracks are pretty much a road
Pineapples!
"Yes, I live at apartment B6, Genetic Rhyme."
Janjot! (Traffic jam) A very common occurrence in these parts.
Bangladesh Air Force
This meat shop has a very distinct aroma.
My apartment building
The mosque that wakes me up far too early, especially now during Ramadan.

Well, that's it. I hope you have enjoyed the pictures. They took a long time to upload. Now I expect you all to be able to live vicariously through me.

Love,
Ben

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for taking the time to post these pictures, Ben. It is worth your time to allow us a glimpse into your interesting life!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome pics Ben, be sure to keep uploading them

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pics Ben! They bring me right back to Dhaka (without quite the same sounds, smells and affronts to the senses.
    Dekha hobe - Steve

    ReplyDelete
  4. totaly worth waiting for them to load. Thanks for the glimpse.

    ReplyDelete