Sunday, July 18, 2010

As I came, so I go

I came to Bangladesh 11 months ago with mixed emotions. I was mostly excited, but I was also a little nervous. I didn't know what to expect. I was coming to a new country, a new culture and a new language. It seems kind of strange leaving now, because I finally feel settled in. My fluency in Bangla is at its best, and all the things that seemed strange or unusual before are just normal now.

As I prepare to leave, I have similar emotions as to when I came. This time, however, I'm going to a familiar country, culture and language. I suppose the nervousness comes with the anticipation that home won't be quite as familiar as I might have remembered.

I fly out of Dhaka on the night of July 20th. I arrive in Akron, PA 36 hours later, assuming everything goes according to plan. Leaving Bangladesh is different than leaving Canada. When I left home, I knew I was coming back in a year. I don't know if I'll ever be back in Bangladesh. I told Piyash that I would come back for his wedding. His mother said that will be in 20 years. She seemed pretty confident on that number, so I guess its settled. I wonder what Bangladesh will be like in 20 years?

A common phrase these days as I say goodbyes: Ami asha kori amader abar dekha hobe - I hope we will meet again.

No comments:

Post a Comment