Tuesday, October 27, 2009

My Life Flows On

October is almost over, and the past month has seen many changes in my life. I've moved to a new town, started a new job, lived with a new family and set a new routine. Sometimes changes can be overwhelming. I haven't really felt that yet (maybe I'm not easily overwhelmed) but still it hasn't been easy. Before I left Akron, I wrote down one of my favourite hymns in my journal. There are a lot of great ones, but this one I am especially fond of, particularly when many changes are happening around me. I think nowadays hymns don't get the respect they deserve, especially in the younger generation (dang kids). I would take any hymn over contemporary worship music any day. This is a beautiful song. The lyrics are below. The tune is probably familiar to those of you who have spent a significant amount of time in a Mennonite church.
My life flows on in endless song,
Above Earth's lamentation
I catch the sweet, though far off hymn
That hails a new creation.

Refrain
No storm can shake my inmost calm,
While to that rock I'm clinging
Since Love is Lord of heav'n and Earth,
How can I keep from singing?

Through all the tumult and the strife,
I hear that music ringing
It finds an echo in my soul.
How can I keep from singing?

Refrain

What though my joys and comforts die?
The Lord my Saviour liveth
What though the darkness gather round?
Songs in the night he giveth

Refrain

The peace of Christ makes fresh my heart,
A fountain ever springing
All things are mine since I am His!
How can I keep from singing?

2 comments:

  1. That's certainly a classic hymn Ben. You have very good taste! You may be interested in knowing it was also a very "cool" song in the 60's sung by Pete Seeger.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like the hymn too! and that song sounds cool. I too really enjoy reading your blog. your expreiences sound so amazing! its so incredible. would you reccomend SALT?
    allie

    ReplyDelete