Thursday, October 29, 2009

Wisdom from Rock

Those of you who know me may be aware that I enjoy classic rock. Today I was traveling from Bogra to Dhaka and I was listening to Jimi Hendrix on my iPod. Some of the lyrics are trippy and weird, but some of them were really quite profound and seemed to apply to my life. So I thought I'd write a blog about it. I've heard from a bunch of people that they enjoy reading this blog and I kind of like updating it, so here we go.

"A rolling stone gathers no moss."
- Jimi Hendrix from "Highway Chile"
At SALT orientation, we were asked "why are you doing SALT?" and then the follow up, "why are you really, really doing SALT?". It was kind of hard for me to answer as there seemed to be a lot of reasons. However I think I realized that my main reason was because I wanted to experience something new and out of the ordinary. I've enjoyed the past two years at university and have made a bunch of friends that I now miss dearly, but I felt like the more comfortable I got, the more uncomfortable I became, if that makes any sense. I felt the need to do something different. Is this selfish? SALT stands for SERVING and LEARNING TOGETHER. I really truthfully am interested in serving and learning and I hope I am doing that (I already have learned a ton), but I am very thankful for a change of scenery. All that to say I think it's important to be a rolling stone sometimes because if enough moss gathers, you may become stuck. This quote also relates to my spiritual journey over the past few years. I've been trying my best to live an "examined life" of which a big part is my faith. I find it's easy to be bogged down in everything ordinary and everyday and when that happens, I seem to lose sight of what really matters. I feel the need to constantly restate to myself what I believe, and I find that it's always changing.

Well, I hope this rambling was somewhat coherent.
Ben

"Walk on brother, don't let no one stop you."

1 comment:

  1. I agree. Sometimes that moss needs to be cleaned with a good rolling around.

    ReplyDelete