Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Thanksgiving

Another Thanksgiving has passed and I think it is the first in my life that I have not had any kind of celebration. Needless to say, I kind of missed it. I suppose a common Thanksgiving tradition is to say some things you're thankful for, so here goes:
  • the opportunity to live in Bangladesh this year
  • a new host family (I have not yet moved in)
  • an increasing knowledge of Bangla
  • friends and family
  • my first piece of mail (which I received Thanksgiving Day)
  • my first piece of mail (feel free to take the hint)
The list could go on, but I think I'll stop it there.

I am still doing language study, now 4 days per week. I've also been getting some Bangla script lessons which is quite interesting. It's funny learning a language from the ground up. I suppose that's what it's like for children, stuttering along with a limited vocabulary. Learning to read again brings back a few distant memories of "sounding it out" and a sense of accomplishment when I can read and understand a big word. Today I read বাংলাদেশ (Bangladesh). Maybe soon I can start on some children's books!

I hope you had a great Thanksgiving.

Ben

1 comment:

  1. Ben... How did you manage to type in Bangla! It took me months to even find a way to type Bangla in word! One day we will have to write secret letters.

    Bhalo tekho

    ReplyDelete