Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Bangladesh: The unknown South American nation

I am fully aware that Bangladesh is located in South Asia, nestled in India's armpit. However, by walking down the streets nowadays it's easy to forget this. The World Cup is two days away and most of Bangladesh has made their support known. It's basically between Brazil and Argentina, and their flags can be seen everywhere. I honestly don't know why. I heard that the 1998 World Cup was massively followed in Bangladesh, so much so that the millions of TVs crashed the power grid for four days. In that tournament Argentina and Brazil did pretty well, so maybe that's where the support comes from?

There is an Argentinian flag painted on the outside of my house. I assumed everyone in my host family supported Argentina until I took a poll. Kaka, Swapan and Shipon support Argentina; Pintu and Biplob support Brazil, Bishaw supports Germany, Boudi and Kaki-ma do not have a favourite (although their husbands like Argentina) and Piyash didn't understand the question. I have officially given my support to England. I suppose being the lone English speaker in my house I have felt some kinship with the English people. Also, their colours are the same as Canada: red and white.

So for the next few weeks the world is going to have a party. Your country may not be in it, but you can still have fun. Even if you don't watch soccer, pick a team and follow them. You may even get into the spirit of things!

God save the Queen,

Ben

2 comments:

  1. Love looking at your reading list, Ben! Keep going. Once you are back here, there will be little time,sorry to say.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    Nice writing on Bangladesh: The unknown South American nation
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete