Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Monsoon's a-comin'

The sun peaked through the clouds today. It's the first time he's shown his face in four days. It's been raining off and on most of the time. I don't really mind though, because the temperatures have been comfortable. I slept with a sheet covering me last night.

The monsoon season is important for Bangladesh. Around 80% of the yearly rainfall comes in these 3 months. However, the monsoon can also bring devastating cyclones and massive floods.

The region of Sylhet has the greatest monsoon in Bangladesh. It is located just south of the Himalayan foothills, so the hot, humid air from the Bay of Bengal rises and condenses right above Sylhet. One year, a town in the region reported a 1 metre rainfall in a 24 hour period! That's crazy! The same town averages 11 metres per year.

A couple weekends ago I was sitting at home reading when it started to rain. I walked out in my room to watch for a bit. Pintu and Bishaw came out of their room and asked me if I wanted to go walk out in the rain with them. I said sure. Wearing only our lungis, we went for a stroll. We walked the length of the dirt road along the river and through a few neighbourhoods I hadn't been to before. We saw a frog. Frog in Bangla is bang. Not quite the same pronunciation as in English though. The ng has a bit of a nasal sound to it. Bishaw said he ate frog once and it tasted like chicken. I agreed with him.

Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment