Saturday, June 5, 2010

Carpe that diem

"Come on, Steve. We've got a diem to carpe!"

"Carpe the diem. Seize the carp."

There probably isn't a Latin phrase that has been more perverted by English speakers than carpe diem. It's OK though; Latin is a dead language, so no one is offended.

Now that we're into June, I've begun to realize how rapidly my time in Bangladesh is winding down. I only have 6 weeks left. In those 6 weeks I have quite a bit to do. I need to bring closure to my work, write some reports and do an end of term evaluation. Now more than ever my thoughts are straying towards home. Over the past 9 months or so, I've been trying my best to focus on the present. Of course, I've thought about home quite a bit. I miss all of you a lot. I think I've done pretty well in taking in Bangladesh and keeping my focus here but it hasn't always been easy.

Carpe diem is a phrase taken from a Latin poem "Odes" by Horace. The whole stanza goes like this:

Latin: carpe diem quam minimum credula postero

English: Seize the day, trusting as little as possible in the next

I don't need to trust the next day. All I need to do is trust that God will provide for me. So far I haven't been let down.

"Carpe diem. Seize the day, boys. Make your lives extraordinary."

Ben

P.S. Try to guess the movies those quotes were taken from. If you give up, look here.

1 comment:

  1. ha.. dead poet's society.. classic.. hope your doing well ben.. this blog is great..

    jonathan van egmond

    ReplyDelete