Sunday, August 16, 2009

Traveling

Traveling is fun and exciting, but also boring at times, like right now. I am currently sitting in Dubai International Airport in, you guessed it, Dubai. I have just entered hour 3 of a 7 hour layover, my last one before getting to Bangladesh. My first thoughts upon entering terminal 3 was how huge this place is. A quick google search confirmed my belief: Dubai's terminal 3 is the largest building in the world by floor space measuring at 16,100,000 square feet. I've spent most of my time wandering the concourse. It takes about 20 minutes to walk from one end to the other. I was also around in time for the evening call to prayers, which was a pleasant surprise. Here are some pictures:


Lamborghini Gallardo. This is what I use to transport my luggage around the airport.

An endless line of gates. I'm at 220.

The last half of orientation was good. We had some blunt but oddly comforting discussions. One session Eva said straight up that there will be a point in our term where we want nothing more than to come home. Usually that happens in the first 2 or 3 months. At first I got kind of nervous, but then I calmed myself. I have been preparing for this for half a year. I have thought of this before. I understand that it won't be easy, but that's why I'm doing it.

It was weird saying goodbye to the other SALTers. MCC tries really hard to get us connected to each other, and I did make some friends, but we were still only together for a week (I think Kim's analogy is a good way to describe it). Basically all you can say is, "Well, see you in a year! Good luck!", and then go your separate ways.

Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment